A Gnew guys 1:32 ramblings.

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:28 am

way beyond what I could build, but I think Alex did say he was a professional model maker, just new to our brand of model making. All kinds of references to military modelling, such as paint colours.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:53 am

Another great model Alex, now please tell me you didnt build it yesterday :lol:
It almost reads like you built the battery loco in the morning, then the auto truck after lunch :)
I really like the way you finish a model, a cross over from the military techniques which is not often seen in railway circles.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

Postby bonneville » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 am

Thankyou gentlemen.

Mark: Thankyou so much for the kind words. I really get a kick out of making these models, but up until now, nobody, except a close friend who I see once a week , to share them with. Really glad you like the stuff, and theres plenty more to come!

Would love to see that little battery trammer you mentioned sometime.

Simon: Thankyou. I work in a model railway shop as custom modelmaker, but nobody at work is really interested in narrow gauge, vehicles, buildings or the kind of rusty, crusty junk that I like. Different folks, different strokes, I guess.

Very much a Great western OO gauge environment. No other railway system exists, I'm afraid. :wink:

Steve: Thankyou for the comments. Its true, reading back the posts I have done so far, I kind of looks like I'm making a model a day!
Whoops!

I have taken build shots throughout the construction of all my models recently, for the purposes of my portfolios for work. However all the narrow gauge stuff has been made in the last two months since browsing the Gnatterbox.

Glad you all like my ramblings and strange creations, will post more soon.

Regards, A.

:D
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Alex,

Your modelling is ridiculously good.
I have used sprue to make down pipes and other basic items
but a figure :shock:

Are any of your other models online?
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Hello Kevin, and thanks for the comments. Wow! people on here are so nice!

I have posted my models on another British forum years ago, but I got heavily critised for my techniques, as I wasnt using model railway industry paints and equipment. I presented it as a short tutorial on paintwork, after being asked about a subject, and thought it was best to talk people through it in that way. I kept the tutorial fun and lighthearted, but I got four whole pages of damning comments and critisism about suggesting that people try military modelling paints and products to achieve different results. The post started a huge embarrassing debate, of which I was blamed for. I guess I just wanted to help and ended up creating a monster.

I was new to railway modelling at the time, and this was quite a shock, especially coming from the military modelling hobby, which is quite dynamic, and reasonably open-minded to new products and techniques. Just look at the fabulous work of Miguel Jiminez or Fabien Descamps to see what I mean. Those guys, and others like them are constantly pushing the boundaries as to what's achievable, and using new methods and materials.

unfortunatly I took a lot of these negative comments to heart, especially being a beginner in railway modelling and I have to say, the pm's I recieved from one such member of that forum were very rude and upsetting, suprising, given the fact that he writes for the British railway modelling press. so I gave up that forum, and indeed railway modelling for myself for a few years. Crawled back under my stone, as suggested by this guy.

After discovering this forum, and looking at the overall positive nature of the fine folks on here, I bit the bullet ( after some encouragement from my wonderful wife and friends) and joined.

I really have been pleasantly surprised by the fun aspect of this forum and its members, and the air of encouragement and positivity shown to all. I do this for a living, but I get so much fun out of it, that it amazes me when people do this purely as a hobby, and still dont seem to enjoy what they are doing.

Its a crazy old world eh?

" You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time" - Abraham Lincoln, I believe....

Smart Guy.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:21 pm

I can relate somewhat, having had similar reactions in the US when I showed my scratchbuilt plastic train models to members of the military modeling community ... it seems "cross-over" is not always heartily encouraged. That said, there is a huge amount to be learned from practicing in all mediums, after all, it's all modeling.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

RobM
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 16mm scale and G scale on various gauges

Postby RobM » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm

I think the best thing is 'what ever works for you' I don't think anyone should look at your work and negatively critise your methods/materials, the end result says it all - I love the Autotruck (actually I love all your models!).

Being a modeller on a shoestring budget myself I tend to use what ever I have available, also having tried many different 'genres of modelling' I tend to use which ever manufacturers paint I have in the colours that I require. I like to think the end results are passable (friends and family always seem fairly impressed -perhaps they're humouring me :lol: )

So use whatever techniques you see fit and that acheive the results you want, Hopefully along the way some of it may rub off on me if I keep an eye on your posts!
Rob M

one wife, two kids, 7 pets and more modelling hobbies than is probably healthy!

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Thankyou all for your comments. Some sound advice in all those posts.
Sometimes, as a noob, It's difficult to get a feel for a situation early on.

I recently received some sidelines wagons from Mr Bennett. I have to say, they are some of the best resin castings I have had the pleasure of working with.
I guess most of you seasoned gn15 modellers have been used to these wonderful little kits for a while, you lucky folk!

Built and painted them today, will post some pics later. :D

Regards, A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:41 am

Here are the sidelines wagons. Wonderful tooling and woodgrain detail.

Together with the ruston- inspired diesel.

And a pillbox for Chris. :D

Regards, A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:12 am

Now I'm blushing, glad you like them :oops:
Was looking forward to seeing how you finished them and am glad to see you make them look better than I could :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 am

When someone says the only railway is Great Western(standard gauge) then just tell them about those two narrow gauge lines in Wales which were once run by that railway, and their locos were either built or rebuilt in Swindon works. :lol:

Also just to confirm you are modelling 1/32, as I thought that as how the thread started, in which case Steve's wagons look adaptable.

I don't think there is a Berlin type wall between military modellers and railay modellers. The current series of articles about modelling buildings etc in Continental Modeller is by a modeller who is also very well known and respected amongst military modellers(have seen references and links on some purely modelling websites).
I think there is a common area which is growing, just look ar increase in number of rail related model kits in 1/35 and over next couple of years hen the WW1 centenary events kick off I can see more cross overs.
The Ian Allen shop in Manchester I believe stocks the military range of paint you mention.
One thing I have noticed is that there are even more rivet counter types in military modelling than in model railways. Given the military research in how camouflage colours work, I would have thought there would be a better understanding about how colours are affected by their environment, including scale, so there is no such thing as the correct shade of colour.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 am

Thats a good point raised there Simon, I guess its largely down to the individuals personality, and social skills, rather than the hobby or society they are part of.
Your right about some of the military modellers too. When you talk to some of the staunchier ones about details, you feel like youre being court-Marshalled! Some of the aircraft guys are quite amusing too!

I was a judge for a few local IPMS shows a while back, and you do meet all sorts! (Not Bertie Basset though)

Steve,
Thankyou glad you like them, however, I was looking at the finished wagons yesterday, and thought that your paintwork was better!

:roll:

I really do like these litttle kits, and I am eager to try some more if you can suggest any you think would be suitable.

Regards, A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:36 am

bonneville wrote:and I am eager to try some more if you can suggest any you think would be suitable.

Well it is easier to list which ones wont work :lol:
For a similar size, best to stick to the ones numbered SL00x, SL10x and SL20x.
The one that wont work is the coach (SL005) for obvious reasons and the Tank wagon (SL007) though I have seen it used fairly effectively, needs the fact that it is an oil drum hidden.

There are a few on Peter's Two Sisters thread, as he used my wagons when he first started. There are probably other threads where they have been used in 1:35 or 1:32 lurking around here, but none come to mind at the moment. Probably some in On30 or O-16.5 too, but height can be a problem there with some of them.
Hope that helps a bit :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Boghopper
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railway modelling

Postby Boghopper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:40 pm

And a pillbox for Chris. :D

Wow! Thanks, I'm flattered. As I'm just about to embark on a 7mm version I'd be interested to know what material you used in order to get that lovely concrete texture.
Capability Chris

Creating beautiful gardens across the southeast
http://chrisodonoghue.co.uk
http://gdngrs.com Greenwich and District Narrow Gauge Railway Society
- visit http://expong.org Expo Narrow Gauge

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Glad You liked the pillbpx Chris, as I'm building a british layout, I have to have one on there somewhere.

Wall sections are 80 thou plastikard, cut to size using the plans from the pillbox study groups website. I chose a type 24, I think, as that seems to be the common type used on the Taunton stop line.
Next up, the holes are drilled inthe plastikard for the slits, and a staggered, layered effect is made inside the slits using yet more 80 thou.

There is no interior, as this sits against my backscene, and will be heavily overgrown, and old junk like tractor tyres will be propped up against it.

Paintwork is simples on this one;

Grey acrylic primer first, then with 10mm Tamiya masking tape, cover the sides horizontally, leaving a gap of about 1mm for the shuttering marks. Then apply a cheap gloss aerosol heavily over the sides and apply some talcum powder over the top of this.
When you pull off the tape, you will have raised crusty ridges which look like the lines left by the shuttering boards when the pillbox is cast.

The concrete color and texture is simply and overspray of a selection of grey , brown, white and black aerosols, preferably acrylics, from a distance of about 18" away. The almost dry paint will form a texture when it hits the plastic at this distance.

Finish up with a dusting of desret yellow or PanzerGelb, and postshade with a very diluted black, and presto. You could go on and add some moss or lichen too. Im gonna do that later on, when I am "settling" the colours and textures fo the scene.

I like to use variations of this technique for all my concrete and asbestos.

Have a play!

Regards, A. :D
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: British Narrow gauge, British branch lines GWR,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Alex,

A few photographs of the two Bachmann On30 side tippers and Steve three plank open.
Personally I think they all look ok in a 1/32 scale setting.
Ruston type loco and Steve’s three plank open kit. Forgive the horrible driver figure he is due for replacement when I get round to doing it.
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: British Narrow gauge, British branch lines GWR,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Ruston and Bachmann On30 scale wooden side tipper, re-painted.

Loco with Bachmann On30 V side tipper, provides a very useful chassis, just lift the body off.

Two Bachmann wagons for comparison.

Ruston pushing a small train. ( I have just noticed a bit of white showing in the starting handle hole, now fixed with a fine brush and matt black paint.
Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:59 pm

looks OK, might be tempted. I have some of the Bachmann wagons. Will have to wait till next year though. Could well be just the job for my WW1 project.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Thankyou for posting those pics Peter. I have to say, your ruston is a work of art!
I have got plenty of ideas now thanks to you and Steve.
I thing I am going to use mainly sidelines wagons for my fleet, with a few slaters kits and scratchbuilt ones for good measure. I have to say, the bachmann wooden side tippers look superb too. Lots of food for thought.

Good luck with your WW1 project Simon, don't forget to contact me if you need any help or advice with WW1 Tanks or vehicles. I may even have some I may part with!

Regards to you all, A. :D
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks for the offer Alex. Project will be just at end of WW1, so showing destruction war brings, not too many military stuff around. I have a few bits for some dioramas I am planning. The railway will be more of a 'rubble' railway being used to clear up, which is why I am thinking Steve's wagons might be suitable.
Oh, and the module has got to be adaptable to suit a 1940s version(and possible even a third period), just by switching vehicles. It's an interesting project, aiming to show in 2014. WW1 , WW2 and WW3(?) from just one layout.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

Evening all,

Hope you are all well. Nothing hugely exiting tonight, but a a little
set of wooden sack trucks in 1:32
All plastruct except wheels courtesy or Mr Wiking.

And painted......

More soon, A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Well, its time for another loco I think.
I recently came across a bachmann class 08 shunter, with a rather nice slow speed mechanism. Somebody's little darling had destroyed most of the bodyshell details, but the chassis is a good ' un.

I had a stare at the bare chassis, and imagined a slightly germanic body, with some leanings towards a 1950 s style body. Simple and teutonic are the orders of the day.

I started with a running plate, and added an instrument console and some chequer plate here and there. Some steps up to the cab, and an air tank attached to the rear of the bachmann frame , which should be visible through the cutout in the frame.

Ok, next up, some kind of bodyshell, which fits frame.
I would like rounded top to the hood area, so, rather than curve a section of plastic, I found an old coach roof which looks like it will fit the bill. I would like a little overhang to the hood roof, so I rounded off the forward edges. Some sides and a grille were knocked together, along with some motor access doors and fine mesh for the grille. A fake radiator was made to go behind the mesh grille.

A larger diesel like this warrants a full cab, so a full height cab was built, with a funky European style exhaust between the cab windows. A rivetted strip was added around the cab by adding a strip of 10 thou halfway up and holes were drilled with plastic rod inserted, trimmed and domed. The same method was used for the join on the top of the hood. A tiny 2 ear knock-off type radiator filler was made and added.
At the same time, some coupler pockets were made from layers of square rod.

On to paintwork, my favourite part! 8)
I had imagined my freelance loco to have a red underframe, to give it a German style appearance. So out with Tamiya hull red, preshaded with black and postshaded with hull red and 25 % desert yellow. I did the bachmann chassis with its new airtank at the same time.

Bodyshell was destined to look tatty, so a light color works well for that. I choose a light faded blue made from a preshade of navy blue over usaf grey, a block color of luftwaffe blue, and several postshades of gradually lightened luftwaffe blue.
Interior is the same lightened desert yellow I used for the other locos.
Paint chipping was done with luftwaffe blue, lightened, and vallejo chocolate brown, NATO brown, steel grey and German grey. Localised airbrushing around the chips adds depth, and modulates the colours nicely. While the airbrush was out, rain streaks were added, and localised dirt suggested in the nooks and crannies.

She runs very well, thanks to her donor chassis, and will be a useful larger loco for my layout.

Hopefully I have given it a European flavor. She's a bit different from my others, but I like her. What do you think?

Regards, A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 pm

I like that a lot :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 pm

You are certainly are bloody good at this painting lark, the building skills are not bad either :D :D

Really nice work , I doubt if many could tell that is freelance and it certainly captures all the features and atmosphere of a German Narrow Gauge prototype.

p.s. sorry but will have to pinch that colour scheme and painting guide
Gordon F

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:36 pm

WOW is the only word for it !!

you are developing a style of your own, mesa likes it.

/Henrik
I build Industrial light railways in 09 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”