Two Sister's Farm Saga

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:03 am

The last conventional shunter to emerge from the works is a bit of a Rustonesque affair.
I found a side view drawing in a book called “Diesel Rail Traction” showing a Ruston and Hornsby narrow gauge tractor. It gave a few dimensions and so I was able to roughly scale the drawing up to 1/32 scale. The wheelbase was fixed at the Bachmann 44 ton bogie I was going to use to power it.
The body is my usual bodge of plasticard and wire, working on the principle that if it looks right, it is right. It is well weighted with lead and runs rather well. To my mind at least I think it captures the look of a little Ruston if not that dimensionally accurate.
The first two pictures show the loco working late into a Summer evening at the height of the potato harvest.
A close up and a general view both photographs by Mick Thornton.
When this bogie wears out I shall have to find something to replace it as I’m rather fond of it. A Tenshodo or Black Beetle being favourite I suppose.
Last edited by Broadoak on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:14 am

You will all be relieved to learn we are almost at the end of the saga.

The latest item of motive power on Two Sister’s Farm has not been run in anger at an exhibition yet. The chassis only has been test run on my HO layout.
It is an ex-army Canadian Ford quad gun tractor. It runs on an early Bachmann Brill trolley with a ringfield type motor. I bought the model at a local market for a fiver on a stall selling all sorts of toys. The chassis had to be butchered to fit the short wheelbase body by cutting a length out and butt joining it and adding some more weight in the un powered front truck that also collects current to improve its tracking.
The model is photographed on the joining section of the HO switching layout.
A three quarter view of the front of the little quad. As the model of Two Sister’s is supposed to be summer the canvas cover on the roof is rolled back showing the driver in his shorts. Jerry cans, ropes, lower footboards and a tool box have been added to give the model a little more character.
When I first had the idea of using road vehicles modified to run on rails this body shape was the one I was thinking of. Unfortunately at the time I started building the project the model was not available, so when I found out Tamiya had re-introduced it I managed to order one from my local shop.
A rear view showing a steel hawser from an electric winch with a loop for emergency towing emerging from its roller guides. The rope can be used as an alternative. The quad has six seats so is used to take workers out to the fields. A large box inside the back of the vehicle actually covers the power truck but on the model is supposed to cover the electric winch mechanism, an early example of Health and Safety perhaps.
The rolled canvas is made from kitchen towel soaked in pva glue then allowed to dry. It is then painted with acrylics and when that is dry a wash of dark grey put on. When this is dry it is flicked over with a very light grey using a dry brush.
Last edited by Broadoak on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

Postby dana » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:30 am

there was a link on this site calld reed business information that had pic of ex w2 vecicals at a disposa site wich may also give you ideas peter for another vecical . anybody have a book mark for the site im talking about :?: .
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )
RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks Dana, I am always looking for suitable models for conversion. :)

I think I have covered most of the popular types of ex- military trucks.
I fancy doing a critter based on a tractor skid unit, but cutting up a white metal kit that costs sixty odd pounds is not really on at the moment.
Peter M

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:19 pm

I love the simplex and the Quad 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am

One of the biggest problems I’ve found working in 1/32-1/35 is finding suitable figures. There seem to be two basic sources. The first are 1/32 scale figures intended for the tractor collecting community. There are serious collectors of the more detailed and delicate models, the rest of course are sold as children’s toys. Mostly these depict seated figures with one or two from the Britain’s range being standing figures. They are made of a hard flexible plastic that is not easy to modify. These are all 1/32 scale.
The other source are military figures who in the main are wearing a uniform of some sort. These can be modified with a scalpel and files but it isn’t easy. These are all 1/35 scale.

The photos show a couple of examples of the modified military figures. The first shows a dairy man driving cows over the bridge for afternoon milking. The hat he is wearing is a circle of ten thou plasticard with a hole cut in it to fit over his head and thus form the brim of his hat. I think more people wore hats in the 1950’s, the period of the model than do nowadays. Incidentally the scale cow pats are blobs of solder painted a greenish black. :lol:

The mechanic checking the tyre pressures on this Fordson E1A is from a Tamiya tank repair crew and had his hat made in the same way as the man herding the cows. The tractor, an early diesel example is being demonstrated on the farm.
Last edited by Broadoak on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 am

I mentioned the Bachmann Brill Trolley and I’ve taken a few photographs to illustrate its size and how useful it is. The chassis itself is a flat piece of plastic so is easily shortened or lengthened.
The first pictures show the old ring field type motor which I used to power the Quad having shortened it so that it now measures 109 mm long overall. I don’t know how available these are as they are no longer made.
One could of course use the power bogie on its own giving a very short wheelbase of about 22mm.

Here are a couple of views of it and one with the body showing how it fits together using a couple of small screws in the centre.
Last edited by Broadoak on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:57 am

The second Bachmann Brill trolley mechanism is still available. I found one at thesignalbox.co.uk in Rochester for £19.25. for instance.
It has a slightly smaller can motor with a gearbox and is quite heavy. The chassis to give an idea of its size is 110mm long but has been modified to suit the model, in this case the GMC truck. Exactly the same chassis is used in the Chevrolet the wheel base of the two bogies is 65mm. As with the older chassis it is a piece of flat plastic, so it is easily modified. Again as with the other chassis one bogie could be used for a small 0-4-0 diesel or similar. The wheelbase is the same as the other at about 22mm.

The last views shows the false chassis of the truck made to mount the body and chassis together using two small screws.

This could be what you are looking for to power that car Paul. :) :)
Last edited by Broadoak on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:11 pm

A Massey Ferguson 35 a 3cylinder diesel tractor outside the workshop. Another new tractor on trial on the estate in 1958. It is intended for yard work and light carting, certainly not for cultivating the heavy Lincolnshire clay soil. The model is a Universal Hobbies example and is mainly die cast metal with plastic accessories.
The tractors are not glued in place but are moved around as the fancy takes me. This was bought as the colour is a contrast to the mainly blue painted Fordson fleet.

Two views showing the tractor being checked over by a mechanic wearing brown overalls before starting the day’s work.
The second picture is taken from the fiddle yard looking towards the other end of the layout all of 38.5 inches away.
Last edited by Broadoak on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

skylon
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Light railways

Postby skylon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Peter, excellent photo. The lighting is spot on, the haze in the top left makes it for me.
Thanks,
Sam

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 am

I think luck played a fairly large part in the previous picture Sam if the truth be told.

A general view looking down the yard towards the engine shed and barn.

A view of the work bench, shown in the early days as more small details were being added. The fire irons are straightened paper clips.

A last picture of the centre of rail operations, the foreman’s hut.

Interior of hut.

That as they say is it. I think I’ve covered everything now. I hope some of this may have given you some ideas for future projects.

It remains for me to say thank you for reading this and giving me the inspiration to model a large scale in a small space whilst lurking a few years ago.
Last edited by Broadoak on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter M

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:28 am

Thank you for this fascinating thread Peter and for the in-depth descriptions of all the superb models that you have managed to cram into just a few feet, without any of it looking over-crowded! Very skillful!

Although the agricultural theme is not my own "field" (excuse the pun....), I have seen, admired and pointed my camera at this layout twice before and very much look forward to a third opportunity at some stage. Well worth a long detailed look if you see Peter and his layout at a show that you can get to!

Please keep posting here if you find anything else that you haven't described already! I think when you plan the 20ft extension, that maybe a small steam preservation scheme open to the public for open days on-site in the style of Howard Martin's 7mm scale Tor Farm or the full size Gartell Light Railway may be worth considering?........ :D

Best wishes

Mick

skylon
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Light railways

Postby skylon » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:38 am

I think Mick said it best.

Excellent in depth descriptions of everything - what more could we ask for?

Thanks.
Thanks,

Sam

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Thank you Mick and Sam I’m glad you enjoyed the saga. The 20 foot extension is on hold at the moment. :oops: :oops:

Paul, I mentioned some time ago that the Fordson “N” tractor on my layout should have been painted bright orange. I painted mine blue and red because it reminded me of when I was a child. In reality Ford changed the bright orange to dark green so as to be less visible from the air during the last war.

I have found in my archives a photograph of a real “N” in the dark green colour.
It was photographed last July at a fund raising event in the village I live in.
It’s unusual but it has a Boughton winch fitted at the rear and worked on a farm in the village in the early fifties. Since then it has been sold and re-built by an enthusiast, then come back to the village as a visitor. It’s a small world.

Last edited by Broadoak on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:29 am

This may be of interest to anyone thinking of modelling a modern agricultural handling system.

It is all a bit too modern for my late fifties period I’m afraid, but what a superb bit of modelling.

http://www.agrimods.com/index.php/reali ... s-de-terre
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:24 am

Things have been quiet on the exhibition front during the summer but with the next show at Haynes near Bedford just a month away I thought checking the layout was a good idea.
It is stored in the same spare bedroom as the HO switching layout under a cover made from black bin liners. It is odd but despite being completely covered it always manages to get a bit dusty.
I set the layout up and ran the Quad gun tractor for the first time to check clearances before going public with it. It was fine as I thought it would be, although the clearance under the bridge is a little bit tight.

Whilst the layout was set up I took advantage of the situation and took a few photographs as it hasn’t been photographed for some time.
Last edited by Broadoak on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

JackBlack
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Trains, Drawing, Reading Mags

Postby JackBlack » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:09 am

Looking good..
Jack

14 & can't decide on a trackplan.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:34 am

I really do like the Ford gun tractor. It really ticks my box :lol:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:02 am

While I still had the camera to hand I took a few more photos of the layout as I was checking it over.

The Davenport arrives in the yard pushing a wagon with an engine on it that has come in for some much needed attention in the work shop. The modifications to the little locomotive can clearly be seen and make it look a little different to the norm. It has also now had a little more weathering applied. The engine and other items on the wagon are left over bits from the truck conversions.

The Davenport leaves the flat wagon at the workshop and heads off to pick up another wagon for delivery to the fields.

We see the loco depart with the man standing on the footplate. It was obviously taken in the era before health and safety became an issue. You may remember it, we just used common sense in those days.
Last edited by Broadoak on Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Lovely photos, you really have come a long way in your setup.

/Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Thank you Henrik, I’m glad you like the photos. :)

They were taken with my wife’s inexpensive compact camera. It is described as an entry level into digital photography camera.
I did use a tripod to prevent camera shake but the camera is not much use for close ups. I take a picture from further back then crop it to get closer views.
Peter M

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Broadoak wrote:Thank you Henrik, I’m glad you like the photos. :)

They were taken with my wife’s inexpensive compact camera. It is described as an entry level into digital photography camera.
I did use a tripod to prevent camera shake but the camera is not much use for close ups. I take a picture from further back then crop it to get closer views.

Yes, a steady camera on correct distance for sharpness is vital, but you also have a very good light in your pictures.

/Henrik
Last edited by henrix72se on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks for continuing to entertain us with your layout :D The Davenport has a wonderful vibe to it.
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:52 am

Later in the day the Simplex type loco arrives pushing a minimal train. The man hitching a ride on the engine cover is a 1/32 scale Siku tractor driver. He is made of a flexible hard plastic that is not easy to cut or glue. I have moved both his arms down slightly by making cuts at the shoulder joint then repositioning the arms. I found super glue worked by making several small applications and keeping the joint under pressure. Paint then hid the join.

Even later the Quad arrives from the fields having picked up the tractor drivers.
The seated figure in front of the coal stage is another ex military character with a tiny Labrador puppy inside his shirt.
The children like this when counting how many animals there are on the model. It keeps them occupied while the adults watch the trains.
Last edited by Broadoak on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Alan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railway Modeling, Good Wine and Plentiful Food

Moderator Administration

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:22 am

I've moved this layout thread from Modelling Matters to gNot Minimum Gauge because it is neither Gn15 nor any other minimum gauge/scale combination.

It is however fantastic modelling that we're both happy and privileged to view. The techniques shown and explained are inspirational.
Alan Rogers, CEO of Chagrin Mines - Gn15
Annoying Questioner of Established Protocol & Procedure

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”