Back in business

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

Postby dana » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:50 am

i found the box i mentioned and it was Mangement mushrooms its also labeled organicly growed with rocking horse munure if you want it. if you want it you could ship the the mushrooms in And mix it with h*****S***T and run your engines on bio-diesel :shock: :P . you could also ship the bio diesel to off line customers :wink: .
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )
RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:20 am

Michael

According to the schedule The Canadian is in Edmonton from 0805 to 0855 on Saturday March 4. Based on our trip in February 2003 the train was something like 4 hours late so be sure to phone before leaving or be prepared to do something else. Freight takes precedence these days.

I see from my Canadian Rail Travel Guide that Stoney Plains (Mile 24) features 16 large outdoor murals along its heritage Main Street.

Will pack my latest loco. Now there is an incentive to finish something. Will get Cheryl to record the great meeting and post to the group.

4466 km (2775 miles)from Toronto to Vancouver. 75 hours travel time if on schedule.

See you on the 4th.

Sir Briand :D
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:16 pm

Sir Briand That is great, I am looking forward to it.

Regards Michael
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

The "Alister" gets couplers.

Postby Sir Briand » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:48 am

Great Mike. See you then VIA Rail permitting. :lol:

On the home front things are progressing well. I have now decided to call my latest loco an "Alister". This is to ackowledge Sir Ashton Lister who was the founder of R.A.Listers of Dursley, Glos. For those of you who don't know, Dursley was my home town and the reason behind my addiction to Lister locos.

I think you will agree Steve that the addition of the distinctive Lister weights and coupler pockets really make a difference. As usual my assembly is awry and the front coupler needs to be unACCd and put back on straight. Doesn't show in this pic.

The white object behind the proper Lister is the beginning of a L & GNR wagon based on an old Airfix OO underframe. Thank you Mr H for the detail photos.

Sir Briand
sitting nice and warm at home having just listened to tales of 50 - 60 vehicle pile ups due to white-outs from blowing snow on Toronto area hiways. I hope you never experience one of these. Like driving into a solid white wall. Been there once and survived..just.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Re: The "Alister" gets couplers.

Postby DCRfan » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:12 am

Sir Briand wrote:Sir Briand
sitting nice and warm at home having just listened to tales of 50 - 60 vehicle pile ups due to white-outs from blowing snow on Toronto area hiways. I hope you never experience one of these. Like driving into a solid white wall. Been there once and survived..just.

Feel free to get all that sort of weather out of the way now as I don't to experience any during a proposed visit to Canada (Ottawa) in a few months.

Decidely a warm weather Kiwi.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

stock foodbox

Postby dana » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:12 am

sir brianImage for the feeding of the horses

email me your itinery plus emailadress then i can get back to you and maybe show you around a little bit of vancouver :P
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )

RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

A progress report

Postby Sir Briand » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:10 am

Well, one advantage of a very cold wind outside is it encourages indoor pursuits. :D

Tha Alister now has a nice coat of paint. Green of course. :lol: Could not resist adding a bit of colour so the cranks and rod are red.

The roofs of the buildings also got a coat of red primer. I was thinking of doing slate roofs but rather like the red, so red tile it will be. Anyone know the average size of a red roof tile?

The line runs around under the overhanging roof at the rear of the stable block. Support beams and a couple of uprights to be added. Stock can be exchanged here out of sight of the front viewers. Note the visible window at the far end. The progress of a train can be followed through the windows which should give the children something to look at.

The vertical butresses (?) cover up joints in the paper and add interest to an otherwise uninteresting wall. The windows are cut down white metal O castings which seem to look OK here. Saved a lot of work. :P

As the crow flies by this is what he would see. Lots of real estate to be worked up. The track will be buried so scraps of foamboard will come in useful to build up the level of the land. In the right foreground is the power supply housed in a wooden box which I am sure would give a Euro inspector a heart attack. Here no one seem to worry about such things at shows and I am quite comfortable with what I have made. Discovered one thing which will be useful. The transformer is 16 v centre tap. Hooked it up the wrong way and only got 8 v to the controller. Beautiful slow running. So, I think I will put in a SPDT switch so I can run on either 8 or 16. Then I can hand the controller to a youngster and let him run the train knowing it is not going to go very fast. :twisted:

The controller is a nice little unit that was made in British Columbia.

Well, that is a quick tour.

Have a good week.

Sir Briand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:41 am

I like your concept very much as it allows 360 degree viewing.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

New Layout

Postby Catweasel » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:38 am

This,to me, is a cracking layout. The loco especially. the rods and cranksadding an interest normally lacking in deisels. The building as well has it's own points of interest. Very nice Sir Briand.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:12 am

Looking great Brian, both the loco and layout. I really like the design of the building and that it can be viewed all the way around, the track under the overhang of the roof along the rear is inspired. I cant believe it is going together so fast either, you obviously have a deadline for it's first appearance :)
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Anyone know the average size of a red roof tile?

Postby Catweasel » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:19 am

This site should have the info. you're looking for.

http://www.sandtoft.com/

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:26 pm

Brian wrote:
The roofs of the buildings also got a coat of red primer. I was thinking of doing slate roofs but rather like the red, so red tile it will be.

If you want tiles off the shelf, the product from this German source is superb:
http://www.rs-modelle.de/
Though I guess similar tiles must be available your side of the pond Brian.
GerryB.

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Finally a name!

Postby Sir Briand » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:48 pm

Just back from a meet of the Toronto Platelayers. 155 mile round trip at 80 minutes each way and well worth it. I was telling someone that I was having a mental block over a name for the layout when a funny look came over his face and he said "Upton Whent". She did, which is why the Whent House Estate Railway had to make some money. Anyway, plenty of excuses for some possible ventures and varied stock. :lol:

Now, regarding the recent postings.

There is small show coming up on the 26th. This is by invitation only. I will be there with "Upton Whent", Scott B willhave his new offering and Crouton will have "Bewdley Brickworks". That's 3 Gn15 layouts. Will post some images.

Had a look at the tile offerings and have a size now. Thanks.

The German site certainly has some nice stuff. I found the posters more interesting than the tiles. Especially the "Werkstatt-Poster". (Just before the "Western" ones.) Don't think though they would keep the workers minds on the job.

http://www.rs-modelle.de/werbung.htm

Sir Briand :twisted:

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:39 pm

UPTON WHENT

Upton Whent is situated in the South-West of England and, like so many little villages, there is a large estate attached to it. The original Lord of this Manor was a Victorian industrialist and the estate was almost self-sufficient. He was a disciple of a certain Sir Arthur Heywood who was a pioneer in the early 1900s of the commercial use of 15 inch gauge railways. Accordingly a line was constructed to serve the manor and, among other things, hauled up coke from the local station for his coal gas plant. A small peat bog was put to good use and peat for the large gardens was collected. Horses and cattle need feed and the results of this have to be removed. There was lots to keep his little line busy. Then one day the Lady of Upton Whent did just that and the little line had to really pay its way. There is a variety of stock in use as his Lordship experiments.

I find the design and building of small layouts is a very satisfying thing to do. The spatial requirements are minimal and the job can be finished in a reasonable time frame. Upton Whent is my third small layout. It was started at the beginning of this year so is still "a work in progress".

This is what will appear in the guide to The Great British Train Show, Brampton, Ontario April 29,30 2006

Sir Briand

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Upton Whent

Postby Catweasel » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:55 pm

Sounds good to me.May be you could have a small stream nearby and calll it the River Piddle. :lol: Yes,there is such a river.

David Nix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Computing, Caravanning

Postby David Nix » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:07 am

Hi Sir Briand
Great little layout and I love the Lister. :D
You mention coke for a coal gas plant, if my memory serves me right, coal is the fuel for such a plant with coke as a by-priduct - yes I've just remembered buying coke from a gas works. Anyway, that provides Upton Whent with another payload. 8)
David

A Gnother Gnotts Gn15 Gnutter

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:12 am

I knew it was either coal or coke but could not remember which went in and which came out. Incidentally the idea of a big house having its own coal gas plant is based on the one that a great friend of mine married into many years ago. This was built by a Victorian industrialist and did indeed have its own plant to provide light and fuel for the big house. Stayed there for a couple of nights back in 1999. My notes from that time mention 450 farming acres, 2000 acres total. Herd of Jerseys 260 total, 130 milking, 130 young stock. Crops included fodder beet, sugar beet, maize. field beans, oil seed rape, wheat. Did have 9 gardeners. Circ 1900 outside staff 40. In house about 15. Made their own coal gas in the inhouse plant. Inhouse brewery. Oh, I nearly forgot the pheasantry. 300 hens, 10,000 eggs and also French partridges. These birds had their own full time keeper. I had the small guest bedroom that was 20 x 25 ft with 18 ft ceiling in the main house.

I mention the above, which I just got from notes made at the time, to show that there could be work on a large estate to keep a small railway busy.

Sir Briand

..and one of the the villages on the Piddle was Piddletrenthide.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Re: Upton Whent

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:04 am

Catweasel wrote:Sounds good to me.May be you could have a small stream nearby and calll it the River Piddle. :lol: Yes,there is such a river.

Yup, no joke. The River Piddle flows through Sylvasprings Watercress Farm on which Ian based his Puresprings layout. I made up these roadsigns ages ago for a bit of fun, but I dont think Ian used them. They are correct though, both villages are close to Bere Regis where Sylasprings is located. The River Puddle also flows through the same area.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:43 am

Brian,
The layout is looking great I am tired from standing on concrete at the supertrain show in Calgary from 8 to 5 two days in a row. fabulous show though, I will post a pic or two when rested.

Michael
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi,

looking at the beautiful horse stable reminds me, it is about time the galopping season start again. Need some pocket money.

If you are still looking for something for your roofs, have a look here.
http://www.appliedimaginationinc.com/precision_products/plastic_veneer_sheets1200.html

I like very much to work with these lightweighted plastic panels. I think, the owner of the firm is British. At least he has a rather British accent.

Regards

Juergen

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Wow are you working fast Brian, It`s looking really good. I can`t wait till sunday to see it in person.

Scott

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:56 am

Well the trip out West was relaxing, and I am ever glad we missed the mighty snowfall in Edmonton. :D So now it is back to business with 2 major shows coming up in a few weeks.

The big gaps between the tracks were filled in with black foamboard. I used "Poyinstafil" to infill to fill in between the rails, keeping my fingers crossed because I was not sure how it was going to work. Polyinstafil is for "Deeper Holes and Cracks. Is a lightweight spackling compound, one-time fill application, won't shrink or crack, great for hard to sand areas and is water resistant." It is very slow drying but eventually, about 36 hours does do so. It dries "hard" but you can impress it as it contains a lot of very finely ground foam as far as I can tell.

The foam board was covered with a thin layer that was trowelled on with a piece of cardboard. Irregularities were then removed with the scraper.

The effect looks promising but there is an awful lot of ground to cover. :roll:

The smaller setts were the result of my first try using a smaller size of tubing. The method is the same as I used on Knotts Wharf. For that I used Daz which was impressed when still damp. The Instafil can be impressed when dry. A big plus. Incidentally the stuff seems to stick very well to the foam board.

Sir Briand

KeithB
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: World-wide NG industrial; std-gauge short-lines

River Piddle

Postby KeithB » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:29 am

There's also a Wyre Piddle in Worcestershire. My wife (from Lincoln) took great delight in photographing the village sign the first time she saw it.

There's also a local Worcester rhyme from villages in the area: "Upton Snodsbury, Tibberton, and Crowle - North Piddle, Wyre Piddle, and Piddle in the Hole"...!!! Piddle in the Hole is no more, unfortunately - good name for a station halt.

Reminds me also of an area near Lincoln - Blankney Barff.....

Regards,
Keith - OTTAWA
va3qf@rogers.com

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:50 am

Brian Best not let the horses roam when the cement is wet, all those hoof prints. It`s worse than kids writing their names in the cement. It looks like your`e getting a lot of work done now your`e back. I will have to get over to the British train show this year especially as it`s a 5 min walk from here I can`t believe I have never made it.
For all the Star Wars fans out there Brian often has either Princess Leia(?) or Wato hiding somewhere on his layouts and there blend because the scale is so close, Its fun to see the kids looking sorta through the windows craning their necks because they are not quite sure what they are seeing.

Scott

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel

just a quick question?

Postby AndyA » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:26 am

The PolyInstafil is the brown stuff?

Does it have that name here in the UK?

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind