gn15 desert chevrolet.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

gn15 desert chevrolet.

Postby bonneville » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 am

Thought this would make a nice scenic piece for gn15:

Amt reissue of their 1950 Chevy pickup. A great kit. Highly recommended.

Chassis , box stock.

Bodywork heavily dented and rusted out. Gave the dremel a workout.

Finished truck. painted with the usual techniques, only a heavier graphite rub bias to try to get that scorched metal feel . MIG and bragdons powders used to finish. Great kit. I could build a whole fleet of these. Try one, you won't regret it.

No connection with round2 or Amt. Just a happy customer. If anyone wants further pics, just pipe up, likewise any chat or howto on the build. Rear suspension had me foxed, until I checked out a real Chevy backend. Destructions aren't that great.

Cheers. A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 am

So, are you going to tease us with more photos of this really stunning display of rust and dust?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

FairlieCrazee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Cats, Narrow Gauge, Doll Houses, Modelmaking, Large Scales, Theatre, Music, Art, Technical Design.

Postby FairlieCrazee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 am

Fantastic work, looks incredible !! xx
Art Music and Love is all I need !

Nikki xx

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 am

I think the owner may be a bit optimistic with his asking price (as shown in the last photo) for such a rust bucket. Don't suppose it comes with an MOT certificate or road tax paid does it? :lol:

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:41 am

Thankyou folks.

I can post more pics if wanted. Can't tell you how much fun I had making that. Its a great kit. I've done a Hasegawa VW pickup in 1:24 ,if anybody wants a look at that too.

Regards, A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 am

Very nice Alex, fantastic weathering.
Was almost hoping you had been swayed over to the larger scale, but see you started another thread on the small stuff in the other section :roll:
I feel it is only a matter of time though :wink:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Thankyou Steve.
I feel you may be right. Recieved your wagons Today, and all I can say is excellent.

Will be ordering some more very soon :D

Regards,A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Good to hear they arrived ok, was a bit uncertain how long it would take with the chaos from the floods.
Just seen the local news and saw the current state of the railway heading your way. It's going to be weeks before that reopens by the look of things, sleepers, embankment, everything washed away, just the rails suspended in mid air with whats left of the ground about 4 feet below. Good thing it's not a high speed section, it would take even longer to get it stable enough to take trains at speed.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:53 pm

It's been pretty rough down here. Everything is a bit soggy. Gotta feel sorry for the network rail staff, as they are in for a busy few weeks.
Thanks again for the wagons, they are brilliant. :D
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Thought you guys might like some pics of the Hasegawa 1:24 Volkswagen pickup.

This is an absolutely gorgeous kit. Not cheap, but a real pleasure to build.
It just falls together, what do you expect from hasegawa though?

I wanted mine to be a Midwest farms runaround. Rough around the edges, but much loved.

Started the paintwork stage after adding some rust holes, dents and dings to the plastic bodyshell.

Then begins the REALLY fun part, breathing some life into the little fella. First up, a basecoat of Tamiya flat earth, IJN brown, NATO brown and a splash of orange for giggles.

Next up, a coat of testors dullcote, followed by a sprinkling of salt and a squirt or two of hairspray in the usual manner.

Colors used are RAF blue darkened by 5% , and luftwaffe blue lightened by 20%
A pre, post and block shade are used in both colors, to break them up. Subtly, because this effect is all to often overdone, in my eyes.
Interior followed, using vallejo leather for the bench seat, faded with desert yellow.
Wheels were given the hairspray, and topped with white.

Wash off all the salt and Goo,and let the rust commence! Warm water and a soft brush do the trick.

Ok, on to the details. The bumpers were given the same treatment as the wheels. Chromework is stippled with MEK and vallejo orange and choc. Brown. I beat up one side of the truck, and painted a replacement panel with a faded green stripe.

All details in the back are scratchbuilt. A water pump in concrete with a cracked pipe, a water trough, some extra pipe, and a sheet of ply . Some hand tools made from sprue finish the scene., there is an old POP bottle discarded in the trough.
I might add at this point, that I reset the rear suspension to show the weight of the cast iron pump and its concrete footing.

Pretty much done now. Some old farming mags on the seat, and a patch of filler on the RH side door, and my usual graphite rub on top of the fold down sides and cab roof .
Plenty of localized airbrush detail work to represent scratches and finger/ hand prints around the doors, as well as some more fadework to the paint. All straightforward stuff, but with constantly checking prototype photos.

hope you like her. What a great kit, and infinitely adaptable for gn15.

Regards, A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:48 am

Alex, love the VW wonderful finish and the load on the back is not only superbly modelled but the "story" it tells is is cleverly thought through .

It may be a great kit, and its one I have been tempted with more than once, but it takes a modeller of your standard to finish it to this level !

Sorry could not resist posting my older and more decrepit interpretation in 1/35 scale
(although I wish I had your imagination when I was sorting out the junk for the back)

Gordon F

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bonneville » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Wow! :shock: Nice work.I love those old fords! ,or is it a ZIS ?
I love the way you have displayed it too. Very, very nice.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 pm

think it is the Gaz-AA, basically the Ford built in Soviet Union. I am just building one from the Russian kit, it will look close enough to a Ford for me. At least you can see the engine detail, just a pity when it has to be covered up as I shall probably be doing. I do have at least one more kit so it could be modelled derelict.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:01 am

bonneville wrote:All details in the back are scratchbuilt. A water pump in concrete with a cracked pipe,
That is neat!
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Modelling Matters”