The slow process of an explosive(s) railway

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Olov Kalderén
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: NG Industrial Railways

The slow process of an explosive(s) railway

Postby Olov Kalderén » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:39 pm

This subject is moved from the "ASEA and..." thread in "Prototype Prattles", written on the day of the Nobel Prize ceremonies in Stockholm, Sweden".

Since this day is a special day here in Sweden I might reveal that I actually DO plan to build a model railway. :shock:
Not that I really can, I gave up model building already in my teens (and that is a looooooong time ago), but I couldn't resist when I had some spare time at work to do some fiddling in Gn15. :x
Yes, you are a inspiring bunch, all of you! :D

Since this thread started out with ASEA, let's start with the loco:
My loco is inspired by this loco:
It is buildt by ASEA in 1917 for the 600 mm gauge mine railways at Herräng, on the coast north of Stockholm. The photo is from a book since I couldn't find a print of that specific loco, so here comes a picture of another loco of the same type and year but with a cab and delivered to SKF in Göteborg:

My loco will be a smaller version, not only in scale but also in gauge and size, more suitable for minimum gauge:
This is only a mock up built of 4 mm plywood - the "real" model will be made of strip wood and have a brass frame (If I ever comes that far...:oops:).

This picture shows a bit more:

The loco shed is inspired of a building not so far from where I lived a few years back:

The building is the sole survivor of a several building of that type. They where used for packing the products of a today well known company, started by a man that we commemorate today.
From time to time the buildings and their content suddenly exploded! :shock:

You can see more pictures (and read more if you can read Swedish) about the site here: http://www.vinterviken-nobel.se/indexsv.html
There is an English site "under construction", but it has been so for many years....

In short, this is the site of Alfred Nobel's first factory for Dynamite, the "AB Nitroglycerin". First he started in his fathers home closer to the city of Stockholm, but after a unfortunate explosion, when his brother was killed, he moved to Vinterviken, "Winter bay" on the countryside just outside Stockholm. Well, today this area is in the middle of Stockholm! :-)

The factory area was full of 600 mm gauge railways but only for hand pushed wagons. Locos where however used at the factory in Gyttorp, where the production was moved around 1920.

...but in my imagination Alfred built his railways with minimum gauge and used small battery locos! :-D

By the way, don't hold your breath while waiting for the next step on my model project - I started with the loco shed in May, and it isn't ready yet...

/Olov

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge and off roading

Postby Hans H » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:18 pm

Nice thread Olov, and don't you worry about being slow..my projects stats to collect cob web...thin I will hire a snail to build mine...I've seen som sluggs here and there in this group.

I have a picture somewhere in H0 scale of Gyttorp, I will try to find it and post it here
Keep up the good work
Cheers
Hans Hammarsten
Västerås, Sweden

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling small industrial prototypes in 3/8n20.

Postby csundstr » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:07 am

The explosives factory near Victoria, BC, Canada which made dynamite and some military explosives used narrow gauge railways.

The railway was located on James Island:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=james+island&safe=off&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=James+Island&ll=48.602495,-123.352089&spn=0.038595,0.109005&t=h&z=14

The railway ran from the main dock (near where the wharf is on the northeast side of the island) to a series of depot/bunkers where the golf course is now, then up the island to the complex of factory buildings (where the wooded areas are now. Non-explosive goods were brought up a table incline between the factory buildings and the village for the workers which was closer to the north end of the island.

The mainline was operated by gasoline locomotives on steel rails, while the railways inside the factories were operated by battery electric locomotives running on wooden rails (to reduce the possibilities of sparks).

For inspiration, see the photos at the BC Archives:

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-1E6DCC5/query/VisualRecords/find%2Bjames%20island%2B%2B%2Btrue%2B

If the link doesn't work correctly, use the Visual Records search for the phrase "James Island".

This railway was 36" gauge, but could easily have been minimum gauge if not for 36" gauge equipment being very common on the used equipment market at that particular period of time.

Note how the buildings are well spaced with protective blast berms between them.

There is a very limited run book on this railway with a map of the entire system in it; I have a copy in my library.

Cheers,

Chris Sundstrom

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

Postby dana » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:02 am

re: james island
theres a plan for this at carent.com heres the link
http://www.carendt.com/microplans/pages ... sland1.gif
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )
RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

Postby dana » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:07 am

DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )

RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

Return to “Modelling Matters”