Conveyor Belts

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

brod13
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15, On30, Tasmanian models (4mm)

Conveyor Belts

Postby brod13 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:31 am

Hi all,
I know this group and scale likes its animation, so i thought i'd try here.

I'm looking to scratchbuild a working conveyor belt, i have the shape and idea rolling, i just need to configure what the actual belt will be.

I've thought of using a rubber track of an old toy excavator, or linking brass or styrene or timber strips together somehow.

Anyone got any idea's?

Regards, Brodie

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Brodie,

Some time ago there was an article by Roy Link on this very subject in the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review. Sorry, can't remember which issue or even which year! He found that old typewriter ribbon, with the ink washed out, was ideal because was very flexible and strong but didn't stretch, which apparently can be a problem with working model conveyors.

Trouble is, can typewriter ribbon be obtained now that everyone uses inkjet or laser printers? :?
Les

Stumpy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains (particularly Steam) automobiles,(race cars, hot rods, antique cars), history, science,writing

Conveyor belt

Postby Stumpy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:02 pm

How about old bicycle tire inner tube? You could cut it into a strip long enough for your needs and glue "cleats" to it made from plastic angle or even stripwood.
For "non-slipping" rubber on rubber drive rollers you could use slot car tires, or even tires and wheels off cheap toy cars.
Another possibility would be the "tracks" off toy tanks or bulldozers and use the drive system from the same. Of course this could be expensive and limit the length and width of the conveyor.
Since old steam powered machinery used leather belts for drive, maybe something made from an old belt might work. Another possibility would be to use old suspenders as your belt. (I wouldn't have thought of them except that I prefer wearing suspenders to hold up my pants and have an old pair lying around for use in a project.)
Stumpy in Ahia

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi Brodie,
How wide do you want the conveyor? There ae a couple of ways you can go to achieve either a link belt or a flat belt.
Some other questions:
how "grainy" is the stuff you are planning to put on it?
how steep is the grade you are planning to use for the conveyor?

The answers determine what you might be able to use. The material you use can have a major effect on things like side shields, head and tail end roller diameter that you will be driving off and your belt speed.

I'm not sure if this one is still around - Hornby had a powered operating conveyor loader - R8131- as far as I know none of them made it to Australia. It's nominally OO/HO but is probably good enough to pass as lightly engineered G scale.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Google Toy Conveyors, there are a number on the market.
Maybe too expensive however there were also tinplate ones that sometimes can be found cheaply. We have one awaiting installation on Secciole Salina. Cannot show photo as it's with the animation maestro.
Just looked on Ebay and found that a Bruder toy conveyor is around 20" long. Here's their website:
http://brudertoys.com/product_info.php? ... 5&cPath=21
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Dave freeman
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 7MM NARROW GAUGE GN15

Postby Dave freeman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi Brodie

What about a car timing belt this would give you a toothed side or a smooth side or would that type of belt be a bit to stiff
DAVE

I'M ALWAYS IN IT . ITS JUST THE DEPTH THAT VARIES.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Dragon used the Hornby conveyer on his layout that was on display at last year's MOMING at Telford. I seem to remember that he said it worked okay with a little bit of preperation.

Simon.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:28 pm

I like the look of the Bruder conveyer as its a lot bigger than the Hornby one. I assume the turning handle could be hidden behind scenery.
I am not too sure if it would move gravel type loads, but larger items should be OK. Photos only show it moving hay bales.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Just found a couple of pictures of Richard's (Dragon) layout. Follow the link and look for "Box End" towards the bottom of the page http://www.jackymolinaro.com/reportages/2008/telford/Telford2008_fichiers/Telford2008p2.htm

Simon.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:24 pm

looking at the pictures of Box End I can see why the conveyor needs a bit of setting up. I managed to fit two in one box , one feeds into the other, and scale of model is 1/12th . track will be alongside long side of box.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi Brodie,
And also at Telford, Roy Link's "Sand and Gravel" - about 1/2 way down
http://www.jackymolinaro.com/reportages/2008/telford/Telford2008_fichiers/Telford2008p3.htm
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:56 pm

wish I had gone last year, one or two I hadn't seen for many many years in particular LLareggub from Dave Rowe, which is probably the layout that got me into Pizza/diarama type layouts.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:34 pm

Simon Andrews wrote:Just found a couple of pictures of Richard's (Dragon) layout. Follow the link and look for "Box End" towards the bottom of the page http://www.jackymolinaro.com/reportages/2008/telford/Telford2008_fichiers/Telford2008p2.htm

Simon.

I must confess that I have had ideas of wanting a to add a conyer somewhere too.
And after seeing the photos of that layout, I wanted one even more. :twisted:
I went searching for the Hornby one. And even found one locally, but it was NZ$120 :cry:
That’s more than I spend on a whole module!, and about the cost of 4 or 5 Underground Ernie’s.
So being a tight wad I left it in the shop, and I'll have to wait until I can find time to build one myself; the belt being the biggest obstacle.
So thanks for the ideas everyone!

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:04 am

Glen A wrote:; the belt being the biggest obstacle.
So thanks for the ideas everyone!

:idea: Hmmm - I wonder what the Hornby part # is for their spare belts :?:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 am

G'day
Belts can be manufactured with underwear elastic that can be obtained in up to 25mm or so widths.
Sew the ends together to give the length of belt required.
Glue is not good as it stiffens the join too much.
I have tried this out on a layout and with a Tamiya motor and gearbox it worked well.
Cleats can be fitted if the belt is too steep.
I have seen this work on a 60 degree belt.
The rollers can be turned from timber and should be thicker in the middle than at the ends otherwise the belt will try and 'walk off' them. (Contrary to what one would think) :shock:
Good luck
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

bernards
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: am a semi-professional model builder with a particular focus on 1:35 and 1:24 industrial & related railway models

conveyor belts

Postby bernards » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:15 am

Hi Guys

I have succesfully used bicycle racing tyre inner tubes to fabricate "conveyor belts"

use the ultra thin high competition tubes [cost about $A5.00 new from the cylce shop];

- slit the tube on the mould seam on one side only to the length required;

- open the strip out and cut to to the required width for your model belt;

- glue the ends by means of a butt joint with quality CA adhesive, which on rubber gives a fantastically strong bond equal to the strength of the rubber.

the belt will form an automatic inverted shape to run true if the return & drive rollers are correctly shaped, i.e. centre of the rollers must either be slightly larger or slightly smaller diameter than the outer diameter.

the rubber belt needs almost no tension since the drive roller will have adequate friction with the driven drum even if the belt is slightly slack.

I have had a 680mm belt in operation for almost 2 years without problems.

Hope this helps.

Bernard
the detail comes from observation and application. have FUN, Bernard

brod13
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15, On30, Tasmanian models (4mm)

Postby brod13 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks for the help so far guys, thats really got me thinking now.

Once i've found a few more on the prototypical side, i'll draw up something and start the configuration and i'll let you guys know how i go.

Regards, Brodie

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:48 am

G'day again Brodie
Just another thought that I had. For the sides of my conveyer I used the sides of the Airfix bailey bridge. A nice looking girder stucture that can be extended and cheaper than the Plastruct equivalent.
Cheers
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

Dragon
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways, narrow gauge, Garden railways

Postby Dragon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:32 pm

Hornby conveyors.

Yup, that's one lurking in the back of Box End, and it is only mildly modified.
Mods made were to enhance reliability under exhibition conditions.

The biggest thing I did was to modify the hopper section, so that the exit aperture was higher (allowing bigger material to be carried) and to add a couple of styrene 'fences' to channel the load into the middle of the belt. If the fences weren't used the material slid down the side of the belt and ultimately jammed the return roller at the bottom of the conveyor.

So far it has run reasonably reliably with a variety of loads, to the extent I'd certainly use one again on another project.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:09 am

Some time back When I was making models commercially, I made some models for the Saskatchewan Potash Corporation, They were for a working display of their mining operation. The scale was such that the belts were about 1 1/2 inches wide and about 18 inches along the top surface. The idler roller was lightly sprung. The belt was cut from a strip of black "Ultrasuede". The belt tracked evenly and ran smoothly. The belt was joined with a needle and thread.

I hope this helps.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

Postby dana » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:31 pm

heres a link for some pics for ideas for conveyors

http://www.savonaequip.com/usedequipment.html
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )
RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:49 pm

just got one of the Bruder conveyors. Hope to try it out tonight. It's big, possibly too big for Gn15, but certainly the right size for 1/12th which is what I want it for.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

steerngo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: most itams ng

Postby steerngo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 am

dana wrote:heres a link for some pics for ideas for conveyors

http://www.savonaequip.com/usedequipment.html

Some other nice 12in/ft NG equipment on this site too!

Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 pm

tested the conveyor last night, and seemed to work OK. Might want to put sides on it to stop some loads sliding off.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Modelling Matters”