Freelance Critter...

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model railways, Music

Freelance Critter...

Postby AndyTee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 am

Folks who have been around for a while may remember me - I dropped in for a while about 5 years ago, built a few models and slipped quietly away.

I have popped into the forum a couple of times over the intervening years, but have never really gotten involved again. I have however been lurking around for a few weeks reading old threads and catching up with what's happening in the world of Gn15. The lurking motivated me to finish another loco - a freelance critter of the truck-bonnet-on-a-chassis type. It has taken almost 5 years to get from concept to finished item! A smaller picture would be more flattering, but (warts and all) here it is...

More pictures and the full story can be found on this page.

It's nice to be back....
Last edited by AndyTee on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Andy...

Life is too short to count rivets.....

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:32 pm

... well, actually I am not one of the "old" folks, but welcome back, Andy ...

I like your critter very much, especially the weathering and visited your website too. As you might have seen, I build card board and styrene models.

I like your freelance 'Bulkhead' flats too - are they styrene ones (or resin) and what kind of wheels/axle boxes/chassis did you use?

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Andy welcome back.
I really like your loco there, well worth the wait :wink: Good thing you choose the right colour as well :lol: The weathering is really nice, very subtle.
And even though you`ve been away you`re right on topic, louvers, and you didn`t even need Dallas` help :D
Scott B

macbain
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15 Micros; On30 Micros

Postby macbain » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:06 pm

Andy:

Welcome back, mate. I myself left modelling for 15 years until I discovered Gn15. I just got bored and tired of just buying stuff. Your critter is great and personally, I like the "list" of the exhaust. Look forward to seeing more of your fine work!

mac
Ben Hughes
Seward, Nebraska USA

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi Andy --

Wow, even in the big picture with "warts and all" that loco sure looks good. I got a chuckle when I saw the BVM Mighty Midget offered some inspiration ... because these things go in circles ... now, I'll have to borrow your photos and use them to inspire my Gn15 modeling! :lol:

Great proportions, detailing and weathering ... very nice! Also enjoyed the contrast in size between your locos ... something else I'm hoping to mimic with a fleet of varied equipment.

Thanks for the pix ... please stay on board and keep making more goodies for us to see! :wink:
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:45 pm

Cannot see many warts :? A great loco, thanks for posting. Hope this is the start of many postings, keep going :!: :!:

Ralph

Rob R
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, NG in general, Austin Sevens

Postby Rob R » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:15 pm

Without wishing to appear pedantic, Toads, warts and all, come on Knots Gnot herds :)

Either way it's a fine piece of work.

Rob
Rob Rayner
In the middle of the REAL Cheshire

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:13 am

Hi Andy, good to see your interest revived. I do remember your contributions back in 05 so it is great to see your interests have not really faded. You are proof that once infected there is no cure :wink:
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby AndyTee » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:32 am

Thanks for the welcome folks :)

There are 'warts' (with or without toads): mostly a lot of detail lacks 'chunkiness' because the chassis and bonnet were originally 1/35 scale - I may in fact rebuild the bonnet, but I am stuck with the chassis. Louver(re)s using Dallas' method would be better. The photo angle highlights that the 'weathering' wash missed the underside of the clutch pedal. None of the above detracts from the model viewed 'live' - photos (especially enlargements) are always a bit cruel.

@ mad gerald - the bulkhead flats are styrene. I also like to use card and paper, but mostly for structures etc. For rolling stock, styrene is king :) The visible pedestals on the flats are cosmetic with functional axleboxes lurking behind. I use various 'Ratio' brand 4mm scale plastic wagon chassis kits fitted with brass bearings and pin-point axles. The bulkhead flats in the photos have 12mm 8 spoke wheels, but a couple of much smaller flats I have 'in progress' use 10.5mm wheels, which I think look better - see here. The functional axleboxes can be seen, but after a coat of black paint they will vanish into the under-body gloom....
Cheers, Andy...

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:47 pm

AndyTee wrote:Thanks for the welcome folks :)
@ mad gerald - the bulkhead flats are styrene. I also like to use card and paper, but mostly for structures etc. For rolling stock, styrene is king :) The visible pedestals on the flats are cosmetic with functional axleboxes lurking behind. I use various 'Ratio' brand 4mm scale plastic wagon chassis kits fitted with brass bearings and pin-point axles. The bulkhead flats in the photos have 12mm 8 spoke wheels, but a couple of much smaller flats I have 'in progress' use 10.5mm wheels, which I think look better - see here. The functional axleboxes can be seen, but after a coat of black paint they will vanish into the under-body gloom....

@AndyTee - I used a similar technique - regarding the functional axleboxes - at the one and only wagon I built. But I took the chassis of a Fleischmann Magic Train®, cut off the part in the middele and glued it together again - but the back ends towards each other (because of the wheelbase). Are the parts you used i. e. brass bearings, pin-point axels parts available at your local modelling shop - and I never heard "Ratio" before ... what do the chassis kits consist off?

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby AndyTee » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:50 am

That is much what I do - the kit parts I use are the floor and a one-piece moulding for each side which contains the solebars and axleboxes. I assemble the three parts as intended, including metal wheels (kit wheels are plastic) and bearings. Assembling the kit as intended ensures everything is square. I then cut across the 'floor' as close to the axleboxes as possible, blah blah blah....

Ouch! Describing something like this is darn near impossible - I have deleted about twenty lines wherein I'm not sure I know exactly what I mean... How about I knock something up in the next few days and post a few in-progress photos :)
Cheers, Andy...

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

Postby Rowley » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Andy Tee. Regarding the Ratio chassis kits you use, are you sure they are not Peco ones. Peco, Ratio and Wills are all together, (google www.peco-uk.com). I ask because mad Gerald has never heard of Ratio. In Aussie they may trade differently but here in U K Peco do the trains & tracks in narrow gauge and Ratio do standard gauge stuff usually trading throught the model shops and online shops
All the Best
Rowley
Rowland Sutton

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

Postby dana » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:44 pm

i think ratio is a seperate model co from peco becuase they have thier own ads in railway modeler (peco mag)

Ratio Plastic Models
Ratio House,
Mardle Way,
Buckfastleigh,
Devon TQ11 0NR

Tel: 01364 642764 Fax: 01364 644466

and that seams to be what i always see on the ads . the company is probly listed http://www.peco-uk.com/Products/ratio.htm becuase a it has a tourist site with shop sellingall its advertizers and b more revenue this way ?.
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )
RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby AndyTee » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Definitely Ratio - OO scale 9' wheelbase chassis kit (Kit #570). Peco have acquired both Wills and Ratio recently and apparently have a marketing policy which excludes retailers who sell on-line, which has made them harder to come by. My LHS keeps then in stock. I use them in 4mm scale std gauge, and in modified form they are under all my 6mm scale Irish NG models ( here) I have used them in On30and 1/35n2 (no pics atm, sorry) as well of course as Gn15. They are cheep as chips (even with after-market wheels and bearings) and they glue up quickly and easily to a dead square foundation.

I could not find Ratio's website (it used to be a good one) but Google turned this up http://www.railway-models.co.uk/866_1_1039842.html - I have never used this supplier, but they do have a very detailed website!!!!

Andy ;)
Last edited by AndyTee on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Andy...

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:20 pm

Last year Peco changed the way Wills and Ratio were distributed, certainly in UK. Trade used to be able to get them from Gaugemaster, but Peco decided to bring all wholesale back to Peco. This probably means it will be more difficult to get hold of these kits. Seems that this is another case of Customer coming Second place.
For retail it is still possible to get kits from many shops who trade online, including Gaugemaster who are the biggest customer for this range(or were before Peco stopped supplying them to wholesellers).
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:31 am

Don't know what it is other than nicely done :D
Good lines. Good weathering.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby AndyTee » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:40 am

Finished a couple of flats to give the little Hammond a reason-to-be...

They are scratch built in styrene, although style and proportions are pretty much a pinch from Steve's stuff. They might be a bit whimsical, but I like 'em. More pics can be found by scrolling down this page.
Cheers, Andy...

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Andy --

The new wagons look great ... and they mix quite well with your larger cars, too!

Look forward to seeing more as the Gn15 bug keeps Gnawing at you ... :lol:
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:43 am

Nice job Andy, 8)

You have done well getting that wood grain into the styrene.
That is one area I haven't managed to master yet.

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge, machining, Gn15, machining, err....

Postby GUTMACH » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:01 am

I am gonna second that opinion regarding the wood grains, looks realistic.

My version ends up looking like a cat went nuts on it. :oops:

Wayde

AndyTee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby AndyTee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:38 am

I scribe 'woodgrain' with one of those cheap snap-blade knives. I just drag the edge of the tip gently along the strip. If the angle is right it lifts a neat spiral of swarf with no raised edges to clean up. I normally drag a piece of fairly course sandpaper along the grain afterwards anyway to take the 'shine' off the styrene. Really knackered boards are simply worked over more often with more pressure...
Cheers, Andy...

Return to “Modelling Matters”