The Crook County Tramway

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Crook County

Postby Catweasel » Tue May 20, 2008 8:23 pm

For scribing,I find that a stylus,as used with an XDA, works a treat. I use my finger nails on the gadget.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Tue May 20, 2008 11:55 pm

Sorry, not the greatest image but it was taken on the fly at the recent Great British Train Show in Brampton, Ontario. The brick and stone works is all done with Das albeit in 4mm. I know the fellow who does most of this on this particular layout uses a variety of width of screwdriver blades to do the verticals. Can't remember what he does the horizontals with but I suspect they are scribed. Das is applied over a thin layer of white glue and impressed before it dries. Don't do too big an area at a time.

The stonework on the cutting and bridge must be getting close to 1:24 brick. Anyway, the point of this post is the use of screwdriver blades to do the verticals. Makes life much easier. :D
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Wed May 21, 2008 6:59 am

Thanks chaps, just what I wanted to know :)

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Wed May 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Here's a blurry glimpse of the stock I've got so far; it would've been a proper look but the camera batteries died, and I managed to sneak up on the camera and take the pic while it was still thinking about it's battery, or lack of it :wink:

The one at the back is a low bulkhead wagon, inspired by Steve's, built on his chassis and detailed with rivets :)

On the left is the open wagon thing, with a load that was bulked up with foamboard and hot glue, then salt and ballast glued on and painted. Incidentally, I've been using a lot of slat lately to represent pitted rust and just give a grungy texture to flat surfaces.

On the right in the foreground is a wagon inspired by the drill car that Steve found recently in Prototype Prattles, essentially a workcar for storing long bits of wood and general crap that I had lying around :)

I've also just remembered I haven't showed you the mine building yet, built using the trestle jig:

It has been painted, but the jury's still out on whether I like it or not...

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Wed May 21, 2008 6:13 pm

That building looks great!
Failure is just success rounded down.

Panda
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railway, mostly my layout, music, sailing, leaf sprung land rovers

Postby Panda » Wed May 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Looking good!
Peter-John Sanders (formally known as mogbass01)

http://drws-y-coed-railway.blogspot.com/

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Thu May 22, 2008 5:22 pm

I think a new camera might be on the cards soon, this one's terrible :(

I charged the batteries and dug out the tripod, but this is as good as it gets I'm afraid. First up, a tank wagon I'm working on (still needs a deck in between the tank supports):

This one is the workcar inspired by the drill car:

Open tub thing:

Bulkhead type flatcar:

Flea (still not sure on paint, I've repainted about 8 times so..):

Should make a nice train :)

I've been thinking about the mine, and I reckon it's a railroad to road thing, where the track (I'll probably bury it here) goes into the building, and it will look like it tipples out into a flat bed after it's been processed:

What do people think about that? Is that the way it's done in real life?

Panda
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railway, mostly my layout, music, sailing, leaf sprung land rovers

Postby Panda » Thu May 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Looking very good! how about a differnt gauge line instead of the road? otherwise Id fly witht that :)

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu May 22, 2008 8:12 pm

WOW :!:
I hope this is going to be displayed at exhibitions. You have got some stunning work there.

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Thu May 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Once again George your on to a winner! You have a style now with your buildings and rolling stock. This is no way a bad thing. :wink:

I will endeavour to do the same one day. All I need to do is find time and actually build something!

Like it George, like it a lot.

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu May 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Looking good George, some nice pieces you have put together there. I like your version of the drill wagon, almost a mobile workbench.
You asked about the building and if it was done like that in real life. I think the most likely scenario to fit the building would be for it to be just an interchange for rail to road transport. The railway bringing the mineral into the building at ground level, tipping into a hopper which feeds via a conveyor, another storage hopper in the upper part of the building, which is then used to load the road vehicles. There is not much room for anything more, maybe a small crusher to do a preliminary crushing, but not much more than that. Also depends what you are mining aswell, different minerals require different processes :wink: . Looks good though :) .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Fri May 23, 2008 8:12 am

Thing to do is to invent your own mineral then you decide what processing it needs. One layout I was involved with dealt with Lithnacite which required water and a number of other chemicals in its refining. The result was carried away bagged in vans. That provided lots of operational interest!

Chris

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Fri May 23, 2008 9:25 am

Thanks Glen!

P-J, I hadn't thought of anothe gauge, that's a possibility; I could even extend the larger gauged railroad out front and back, and have the Gn15 line cross it. It would be more work that just sticking the pickup I've already got under it though... :?

Bob, I was first inspired by the pics of Ian Thompson's Rawson Brother's Tramway layout at the Schomberg Show a couple of years (!) ago. I don't think my effect is half as good, but it's my take on it and pretty easy with the whole paint it black then drybrush the colour on thing. The wagons are smaller this time round as I'm using Steve's loco and Steve's chassis.

Steve, that's what I'd been thinking about, it being an interchange shed. I think I changed prototype halfway through making it; there was going to be no road vehicles involved, but a corrugated conveyeor type 'box' leading from a rock face into the high level of the building, and the railroad under the tipple. I just think the size of the building versus the tiny open wagon I built looks like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut; it'd only take 5 or so spadefuls to fill it :)

I do like Chris' idea of inventing a mineral, though, I shall do that :D

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri May 23, 2008 9:34 am

dr5euss wrote:I just think the size of the building versus the tiny open wagon I built looks like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut; it'd only take 5 or so spadefuls to fill it :)

:lol: Better make that mineral something very valuable, to make it worthwhile shipping it in small quantities. By the same token, how many wagon loads would it take to fill the pick-up :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Fri May 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Actually Lithnacite is so rare that only I know where it is to be found and yes it's very very valuable! Not only that, it has to be carried by rail for reasons that I can't go into.

Chris

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Fri May 23, 2008 2:56 pm

...or the fairly soft Cordobium ore is found in a really narrow seam that's an inclusion between two layers of very hard rock, making it worthwhile using trucks that will fit thorugh without having to waste time cutting away the hard stuff.

Actually, I love the 'small wagon, big building' stuff. You might need more than one wagon, though. :)

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sat May 24, 2008 3:53 pm

I braved the harsh winds with my dinky Gn15 stock and got some outside photos which hopefully show them in a better light. I lost the bulkhead wagons a couple of times, the Flea stayed put so I assume there's enough lead in the battery box...

Gonna order some more chassis from Steve soon and make a few more :D

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat May 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Look very good George, the natural light does improve the pictures :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Panda
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Panda » Sat May 24, 2008 4:20 pm

They look a lot better outside! look really nice

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat May 24, 2008 6:10 pm

dr5euss wrote:Gonna order some more chassis from Steve soon and make a few more :D

I dunno George, with as well as they're coming off and as much fun as it sounds like you're having, may wind up being more than "a few" - those wagon ideas tend to just keep coming :!:

Oh, here's one - was watching Union Pacific track gang laying new rail along the river here and they had several fire fighting carts in their collection of trackmobiels and speeders.
Each being a little red 4-wheel wagon with varying combinations of: a rack for several shovels, picks, axes; a couple fire extinguishers; a barrel of sand; tank of retardant and pump to spray it; first aid kit; lockers with unknown stuff - oxygen masks maybe included?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sun May 25, 2008 8:39 pm

I've been working on a small halt this evening. I started a similar one a while ago but it was too big. It's based on 'Tullie' which you can Google with 'Laurie Green' and see on his site :)

The roof is corrugated, but I'm using black card so you don't see the white when the edges peel up - a lesson learned from a previous layout!

Lots more still to do though...

Panda
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Panda » Sun May 25, 2008 10:21 pm

I like that a lot! when do we get to see pics of the layout? :lol:

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sun May 25, 2008 10:27 pm

When I've got something to take pics of :wink:

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Tue May 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Here are some pics of the above halt, painted. At the moment, no one can get in because there's no door handle :?

I'm also in the process of making a rail carrying tug, it still needs a ramp and mebbey a roof over the whole deck as well.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 27, 2008 7:58 pm

Thats a really nice finish on the building George. You have done a very good job on it, well done.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”