amoured train 15'' romney hyde

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:22 pm

Cross Kitter wrote:Good grief DCRfan, you don't use those newfangled calculator thingies do you :lol: I've only recently traded in my abacus for a slide rule :roll:

I remember being told by a very experienced engineer, don't use a ruler if you can help it but transfer a size from a 1:1 detail drawing - less chance of error :oops:

Calculator - yes I do keep the AA battery manfacturers in business :oops:

Well by ruler I actually mean me old mums dress making tape measure :wink:

I would love to check out the original drawings but they are probably buried deep in the for 'UK Eyes Only' archives where items of national embrassment are kept or more likely they were long ago chucked out :lol:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:24 pm

The extremely sad fact probably is that they have been chucked out. :evil: our local Council burnt all their "extent of maintained highway" maps because they had put the centre line of all roads onto a Geographical Information System - great until there was a dispute about who owned a piece of tarmac in a cul-de-sac :oops: :oops: :oops:

However I was given a large selection of photographs that were "chucked out" of The "Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Limited Builders Smethwick England"

Absolutely superb set with some for the "Ceylon Government Railway" ie "Bogie Covered Goods Wagon Indent No 570/CSO/839" a real beauty with lots of outside strapping with loads of rivet detail :lol: I would post some here but all the photos were huge and I haven't got round to stitching them all back together again and I scanned them at a very high resolution so they are enormous files each one being over 100MB :shock:

I will though endeavour to sort them out soon and will put them on the GnATTERbox AS SOON AS I CAN.
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:53 am

Well I finally concocted a basic outline drawing of a 22ft long wagon based on Davies R&ER and RH&DR book dinensions, the video clip of the train and what pictures I have.

Paul

Gnu Zealand

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:36 am

Looking good Paul. I admire your dedication.

Simon.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 am

Well Christmas holiday has started so I've begun to build one of thea armoured wagons. So far the basic structure is finished and I'm starting on the side armour.

Unfortunately the computer is playing up and I can't download pictures from the camera :cry:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:54 am

I was just measuring the last piece of the wagon structure, the armoured plate on the top when I realised something was wrong :shock: A check with the plan identifed that I have built the basic wagon structure to the width of the add on armour so overall it is about 7mm too wide :cry:

Yes I gnow the old addage measure TWICE cut once .... Still it shouldn't be too hard to correct by slicing off one side.

This is one of the problems of building in another scale. I'm so used to the size of 1:24th it just didn't register that in 1:35th is was way too wide.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

wahiba
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: railway, especially narrow and electric, motorbikes, movie making

Postby wahiba » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Started reading this thread from the beginning.

Regarding the .5" Boyes Rifle.

Believe it or not a decendant exists and is no doubt being used in Afghanistan.

Check this link:

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/AW50.php

I thought the UK had given up small arms manufacturing - seems I was wrong.
Too many interests, so never bored!
David Usher http://www.siltec.co.uk

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:22 am

Actually it only took a few minutes to cut off the excess and re-attach the side
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Found this old news reel on the 'Chicken Pate News' web site. Don't know if its been posted here before :?: But enjoy anyway :D http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=23299

Simon.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

When a problem looks insurmountable I use that clip for to stir up my moral :lol: For some reason the theme music for Dads Army always comes to mind.

I'm having so much fun making Rhodesian armoured vehicles at the moment I've done no more on the armoured wagon. :oops: Actually the thought of making 1:35th scale 15 gauge bogies and wheels is the hold up. I'd better play the video clip again :P
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Return to “Modelling Matters”