Macton works developments

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:41 pm

As usual, awe inspiring work.

Actually I am sort of disappointed you have reappeared in Modelling Matters Michael. I was enjoying the break from constantly wondering whether I should give up modelling. :cry:
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

Richard Morton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge

Postby Richard Morton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:48 pm

Michael I noticed in the pic of the front gates that in the lower right corner is a brass lever inset into the foundation can you explain that. what it is and your purpose for it etc....

Jack Taylor
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Railways, Thomas the tank engine

Postby Jack Taylor » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:11 pm

I really love your maroon steam railcar

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:13 pm

I'm not ignoring your question Richard, all will become tremendously clear later. :wink:

Glad that the updates were well recieved, and I'm sorry that I caused you some anxiety Brian :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Peter-DK
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: The comming TLR!!!

Postby Peter-DK » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Michael

I just love the layout, and all the attenion to detail. What a source of insperation.

Keep up the good work

Best regards

Peter

Insanity prawn boy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Slate quarries, rock music, loads of other stuff which I can't be bothered writing

Postby Insanity prawn boy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:55 pm

Great stuff Michael, I love the worn road near the gates. Nice door! :D

(I havn't been here in ages!!)
Insanity prawn boy
http://slatequarryman.fotopic.net
Narrow gauge, rock'n'roll, Industrial archeology- can life get much better?? Yes actually, I discovered classic cars

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:20 pm

Fantastic Michael.
Everytime I get a little step closer to your standard, you race off again :!: 8) :D
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge, machining, Gn15, machining, err....

Postby GUTMACH » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:56 pm

Incredible.

:o

Not much else to say, really.

Wayde

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:02 am

Those doors make it look like some sort of Embassy building out of a spy film :)

That shot through the gates with the higher level corrugated bit looks great 8)

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:02 am

We really need a jaw drop emotion :shock: just doesn't do this level of modeling justice. It is beautiful Michael :twisted:
Failure is just success rounded down.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:05 am

Richard here is the answer to your question

This morning something that has been bothering me for quite some time finally pushed up through the subconscious.... the track layout on Macton wasnt working logically. The double stub slip had to go :shock: It was an interesting challenge at the time but in my mind it finally seemed a bit to much and not realistic even in my twisted imaginary world.

Steves comment this morning about a pencil somehow hit a chord, so I removed all the buildings and did a rubbing with a bit of graphite, then I drew different track plans with a red pencil until I was satisfied that the plan was feasible in reality.

then called in the right of way boys to get on with the task of digging up the tracks that were going to be replaced. they created quite a pile for the salvage crews later.

The scene by noon

A few hours later the track laying crew had got the main rails back down and the factory managment were pleased with the better alignment into and out of the main workshops.

The paving crew will be arriving as soon as they get their backlog cleared up. :) :roll:
Regards Michael

Richard Morton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Richard Morton » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:06 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: Um....... thanks for the mention about the brass thingy :D at first i thought it was a ground throw of sorts.

But er um.. Michael I have to tell you I think someone stole some trackage to melt down lol. I'll look forward to seeing the development of this change but to be honest I really liked the uniqueness of the double stub slip switch. but I'll wate to see how this develops for sure.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:39 pm

:shock: Thats a bit of a shock Michael, after all this time aswell :) . A brave move, but if you were unhappy with it, I can understand the need to rip it up, better now than to regret not doing it later.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:00 pm

A brave move indeed.

I have also ripped up what little track I had down in the first place on Lutley Engineering. I also had a "niggle" that would not go away so the only solution was to start again. I've had been regretting the decision for about a week now but seeing the same sort of major work happening to Macton I now know it was the right thing to do.

One of my pet hates is layouts that are beautiful modelled, fine attention to detail, locomotives and stock built and weathered to the highest standards only to find they don't run without a push.

The other decision I have made this time around is to use point motors. Something that would have been almost imposable to retro fit if I had left the track down.

My problem before, apart from knowing nothing, was I think self inflicted when I modified my PECO O/16.5 (On30) points by removing the sleepers. I must have damaged one, or both, at that time. Not sure this time round. Using the same track again but may leave the modifications. Not sure.

Got all my new track, points, motors etc from the "other Steve" this morning. Just need the Christmas holidays now! :shock:

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:38 pm

Yes it was rather drastic but as you say it is important to have the motive power be able to run without a push. One of the problems that i had with the double slip was that in order to even make it work there were about 16 wires from underneath, and each rail was isolated from the next including the inner check rails. In order to switch the rails the pushpull rod had to be moved but I also had to flip a 4 pole relay. The alignment of the stubs was also bit abrupt, The double powered old Ge44 negotiated the slip quite well but any of the short wheelbase locos had a bit of a problem unless going quite fast and that caused a few derailments at the stub. I think that now that the track layout is more simple it will allow for easier and smoother running. It also gives me a better space in the yard to play with some more details that would likely be in a yard of this sort. I am doing some experiments with the peco finescale track. basically I am gluing card into the middle with autobody putty and then filling in the gap and before it is set I slip a small piece of stipwood along side the rail to create the gap and it seems to be working. I haven't tackled the points yet :!: The surrounding yard is also being rebuilt with scraps of mattboard card.

The only area that still seems a bit odd is the fact that the track ends just inside the gates, but my thinking is that if I were to install a Ralph Brammer type crane then it works as a loading area onto or off of road vehicles onto small flat wagons for the factory. This would only be used for light goods as the main heavy stuff would still arive on the standard gauge track and be unloaded with the gantry crane.

Does all this make sense?
Regards Michael

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:12 pm

Yes :wink: superb modelling Michael.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Marty J
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Small industrial trams etc

Postby Marty J » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi Micheal,
You're brave! It makes sense, although I will miss the complexity, I completely understand the motivation. Nothing is as frusturating as a nice scene where everything stalls. I like the idea of a small crane at the end of the track. You still have room for a small hand powered turntable to provide access to the doorway that was once served by the double slip switch. It would'nt have to work. And it would only be served by small people-powered push cars. It would give Bernard's younger brother something to do... he has been looking for work and it is the Christmas season after all.
Cheers,
Marty J

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:28 pm

Hi Marty, I gave the doorway at the end of the sandstone building a lot of thought and although I did like the idea of a turntable, It seemed a bit odd in the end to have a doorway so close the the wall with the windows.
Because the biulding was once used as a factory that made wagons back in the 1700's I was thinking that it might be a nice area to add an external statioary boilder to add steam heating to the old building. with a small mandoor access into the building. The whole lot sort of cobbled together from old equipment with a rusty corrugated iron roof to sort of protect it from the elements.

On my next layout I will spend a bit more time planning the operation so that I do not have to make so many changes as I am going along. But in the beginning I was a bit too fast with the placement of things, and I didnt really have it sorted out logically.
Regards Michael

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:57 pm

michael wrote:

it might be a nice area to add an external stationary boiler to add steam heating to the old building.

The whole lot sort of cobbled together from old equipment with a rusty corrugated iron roof to sort of protect it from the elements.

With a rusty extension pipe to the chimney that runs up the side of the building like a reverse drainpipe perhaps? :D :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:36 pm

Yes I like that Idea :!: :)
Regards Michael

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:14 pm

Here is a shot of the fresh body putty with the gap made by dragging a thin piece of hard wood next to the rail.

when the putty gets to the cheesy state I use the little artists pallet knife to slice off the windrows caused by the stick.

The overall shot of the paving, I am cleaning the rail with the small stick of hard maple after each application of putty.

The nice thing about the putty is that it sets up so fast, and it is not water based so it is not doing anything untoward to the card, it is in fact sealing it. I like the way the small putty knife is trowelling on the putty it has the feel of trowelled concrete. The telling will be when it is painted of course.
Regards Michael

Richard Morton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Richard Morton » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:32 am

what can one say except great work Michael.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:27 am

Thanks Richard, I have given the yard a quick coat of gesso with some black and brown mixed into it just to seal everything up the wiring needed a bit of cleaning up as well, but the system is working nowI think things will work out well now.

Now I need to get some detail into the concreted yard, drains and cracks and lift lines etc. finalize the colours, I spotted a small tank in the area where the boiler will be sited.
Regards Michael

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:23 am

Remarkable, you wouldnt know the track gang had been in :) that was quick :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

crcepelak
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: trains, narrow gauge, fire trucks, flyfishing, camping

Postby crcepelak » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Is there anything this man can't do? Can he cook and clean as well?
Just as I finish emptying my basement, raedy to build my baseboard (a huge step for me), the bar has been raised... again.

The great thing about seeing everyone else's layouts is I don't clutter my house building mine! If I could import them into my Trainz 2004 I'd be set for life!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Return to “Modelling Matters”